27 November 2012

kittens and spiders and baby sheep, oh my!


It’s been more than a month since I’ve had a chance to put something together for your reading pleasure. The previous post pretty much explains why – a 36 page research report and a two-week training conference effectively zap one’s ability to do anything else. I’ve been so busy that I didn’t even realize it’d been so long. I’m now back in Bekoji and preparing to start working on some of the activities put forth in my report. Since I’m still recovering from the calamity of the last month, traveling on public transport, and whatever was in the food at our training hotel, I’m going to keep this one pretty light. Here are some recent highlights of my life in Ethiopia, told mostly through pictures and a couple video clips.



A kitten was born on the compound. It’s a well-known fact that I’m not a cat person, but watching this thing wobble around and be all kitten-like has just been OMGZ adorable. It was born to a stray that had taken shelter in a haystack behind my room. Knowing that it would either be abandoned or eaten by the mother cat (not kidding), my landlord’s family pretty much adopted the little booger, taking it into the house, feeding it fresh milk from Tractor, and basically just letting it frolic around swatting at flies and stuff. All that being said, I still never, ever want to own a cat.

Just 3 PCVs in an Addis line taxi



Teambuilding!


More teambuilding!

This one might actually qualify as bodybuilding.

The sunset view from our room in Ambo was pretty spectacular


Paper Football Tourney #2, Championship. I won!



Over a Thanksgiving dinner of enchiladas, quesadillas, and lasagna (it was amazing), a few of us discussed how being the door guy in a line taxi is the secret wish of just about every Peace Corps Volunteer in Ethiopia. Little did we know that later in the very same evening, a one Michael Quiroz would have his moment in the sun.


There’s really no way for me to explain how amazing this was. The driver didn’t have a “helper,” so we collectively volunteered to the task, but Michael was the man with the money, making him the star of the show. All of the Ethiopians on board, and especially the driver, were as enthralled as the Americans. When the short ride was over, the driver didn’t even count the money Michael handed him. He just put it in his pocket, along with a life-long memory and one helluva story to tell all his friends.

And from the amazing to the downright horrific…


Just before this picture was taken, the monstrous subject was ON MY BODY. I let off a round of shrieks and squeals I never before knew I could produce. The spider is no longer with us.

Don’t worry. I won’t leave you with a case of the heebie-jeebies. Prepare for maximum cuteness…



I know, right? The sheep on my compound had a baby while I was away. This sprite little chap is all of a week old. But just wait…

Wait for it…

Wait for it…

Wait for it…

Baby sheep prancing!!!!



As if my quality of life hadn’t already increased enough with this fabulous new addition, I had two care packages waiting for me at the post office when I stopped by yesterday. Massive, endless thanks to my dad and my friend Christopher for their significant contributions to my overall well-being.

A treasure chest of amazing, courtesy of Papa Bear

Christopher really ought to teach classes on packing care packages. Impressive.


And for the cherry on top, only 25 days ‘til Laura and me and London!!!!!!

I will never get enough of this picture.

 
Yay life!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post - Ethiopia is so amazing!

    I saw in an earlier post that you were living in Sagure. Do you know if there are any hotels there? I know it's a small town, so maybe Asela is a better bet, but I just wanted to ask.

    Thanks!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon - Thanks for stopping by. As far as I know, there is one hotel in Sagure. It's Hotel Harar, which is in the middle of town on the main road. If you were stuck, I suppose it wouldn't be the worst imaginable scenario for hotels in Ethiopia, but if you have a choice, Asela would be a much better bet. The Kenenisa, at the bottom of the hill across from the bus station, is probably your nicest option, but Derartu, at the top of the hill, is also nice. Directly across the street from Derartu, the Soljam is also decent and I believe it's a bit cheaper.

      If you ever find yourself wanting to stay south of Sagure, Bekoji has a pretty nice hotel in the Wabe (pronounced Wahbay). It's where I'll have my family and friends stay when they come to visit.

      Delete